Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Mind IS a Terrible Thing to Waste

The Ad Council, the leading producer of public service announcements, started this campaign for the United Negro College fund in 1972, (http://www.adcouncil.org/default.aspx?id=134).  I remember hearing this campaign but never gave it much thought, but as I find myself quickly approaching my 50th birthday, I am starting to take it very seriously.

The intent of the "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste" campaign is to stress the importance of recognizing your full potential by pursuing higher levels of education.  While this campaign was aimed at the African American community it applies to all.

I have been an avid reader for as long as I remember.  I read for pleasure and as a way to exercise my mind.  I believe reading keeps my appetite for knowledge alive.  I believe that moving outside of my reading for pleasure comfort zone and reading something that requires me to really think about what I'm reading keeps my mind healthy.

During the holiday season last year, my son's girlfriend Kelli and I visited our corner Barnes & Noble bookstore.  I have known Kelli for almost 14 years and it has been only in the past couple of years has she discovered her love of reading.  While browsing through the rows and rows of books Kelli asked me what I liked to read - talk about opening a can of worms!  I immediately went to the very familiar selves containing John Irving and Larry McMurtry novels.  As I was telling Kelli all about John Irving and his style of writing it occurred to me - reading is like walking, you have to crawl first.

When we first learn to read we start out with very simple "Fun With Dick & Jane" books.  As we mature we devour Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.  Then it happens - we discover Danielle Steele or James Patterson!  One could spend a lifetime reading Danielle Steel novels but by doing so our mind goes into cruise mode. 

It has been said that mass market authors crank out their books using formulas, a paint by number for novels.  The novelists start with a basic story outline and by changing the names and places then twisting the events a bit they have a brand new novel.  As we read these books we get so used to "what happens next" that reading simply becomes an exercise in looking at the words and turning the page.

In attempt to save our minds we reach beyond the mass marketed novel .  We pick up a classic.  We pick up a John Irving or Larry McMurtry novel.  We pick up the first novel of an author we've never read.  This my friend, keeps us alert and often times we put the book down and the miracle happens - we find ourselves wanting more...

No comments:

Post a Comment